Friday, July 14, 2006

Hungry Jack's - Marulan, NSW


After traveling up and back to the magical New South Wales' Mental Coast (a ka Central Coast - lots of oldies) in the same day, my brother and I mistakenly decided to have dinner at Hungry Jack's at Marulan - a petrol stop along the Hume Highway between Sydney and Goulburn.

No thanks to Morgan Spurlock and the whole "Fast Food Nation" / "Super Size Me" phenomena, all fast food chains are soon discovering that people these days are a lot more discerning about health and quality foods then they did during those heddy days of the fast food eighties and nineties... Mc Donalds have introduced some Subway inspired range of sandwiches and salads to try and win back some lost customers - those fed up with cold greasy burgers with caloriffic fries...

Having not been to the gym (or as Homer Simpson calls it - the "gyme") for a whole day - I thought I might try something that sounds vaguely healthy - so I had ordered a "Vegie Supreme Baguette" meal (after waiting in line for the incompetent Marulan staff got their s### together)...

After waiting for a speedy five minutes - my meal was ready...

To my disgust - the Vegie "Supreme" Baguette consisted of:
- a semi stale bun;
- two hash browns (lol!!) with a bit of green and corn stuff in it to make it seem more "Vegie Supreme"'
- on one side of the hash browns - lettuce and tomato , on the other - plastic cheese (lol!!!); and
- that favourite double extra - mayonnaise on one side - tomato sauce (or ketchup) on the other...

Wow - I think a Double Whopper with Bacon and Cheese would be somewhat healthier than this deep fried doggie do-do...

Doing a check on the Hungry Jack's website - it consists of 23.2g's of fat (getting up there for burger king / hungry jack's products) - but also contains 2249kj's which (according to my quick google search) - calculates to 537 calories... I might has well just have a deep fried mars bars - at least it would taste better than the Vegie Supreme!!

Normally I wouldn't order fries with a meal at McDonalds or Hungry Jacks - but the inner accountant was screaming when a Meal with Fries and a Medium Drink was cheaper than the Baguette and a Small drink bought separately - so I went with the meal.... Unfortunately - they probably should have warned me when I was ordering - "Do you want fries with your salt?" - because they were up there in the deadly salt stakes...!

Overall - I came to the conclusion that Hungry Jack's isn't the sort of place you want to visit on a diet, or if you still have any functioning taste buds...

I've never been a big fan of Hungry Jack's / Burger King - the meat always tastes a little funny and none of their chicken fillet burgers / baguettes contain 100% chicken (mostly weird s### that they would serve to genetically modified monkeys in cages) - check their website if you don't believe me!

Well - I'm going to solely put the blame on the monstrosity that is a "Vegie Supreme" onto Morgan Spurlock... for making all of these fast food restaurants bring out supposedly "healthy options" which taste worse and are probably less healthy than all of their old products. I double dare Morgan Spurlock to eat (for 30 days straight) Hungry Jack's Vegie Supreme meals with a side of salt with some fries... I'm sure he wouldn't make it...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home